In 1936, there were 14 locations operating in Washington DC.
By 1939, there were 21 in Washington.
By the 1940s, there were approximately 50 Little Tavern locations in Washington and Baltimore.
In 1988, 22 locations were still operating.
In 1991, the number was 20.
The last one closed last year.
This is what I’ve been able to piece together of locations which once existed.
If anyone has pictures especially from when they were still operating as Little Taverns, I’d love to see them. And if you’d just like to add a story or reminiscence, I’d love to hear it as well.
And if anyone has a location to add, please leave a comment and I’ll add it to the list.
1. 814 E Street NW. – built c. 1928
2. 1344 G street northwest Washington DC
Torn Down, but the outline of the building is still visible on the wall of the building next door. Built 1931.
3. 2628 Connecticut avenue northwest Washington DC
Torn Down – Now the site of the Woodley Park-Zoo / Adams Morgan metro station Built before Feb. 1937
4. 1110 H St. Northwest Washington DC (Little Tavern Shop No. 16) Closed by 1985.
Torn Down Now the site of the Capitol City Brewing Company downtown location?
5. 3701 New Hampshire Ave. NW Washington DC
Torn Down. Now the site of the Sweet Mango Cafe.
6. 5100 Georgia Ave. NW Washington DC
Torn Down. Now a used car lot.
7. 1309 New York Avenue, N.E. Washington DC (Little Tavern Shop No. 8 )
Moved to 1251 New York Ave.
8. 1251 New York Avenue, N.E. Washington DC (Relocation of Little Tavern Shop No. 8 )
Torn Down. Now a school bus parking lot.
9. 628-632 North Capitol Street, N.W. Washington DC (Little Tavern Shop No. 6) Built 1931
Restored 1983. Demolished 1988.
10. 2716 Good Hope Road S.E., Washington, D.C. (Little Tavern Shop No. 26)
Torn Down. Now a strip mall.
11. 718 H Street, N.E., Washington, D.C. (Little Tavern Shop No. 12)
Converted. Now Super Nails.
Built 8/29/1935. Permit # 183945. Architect G.B. Wenner. Estimated cost $7,500.
12. 3968 Minnesota Avenue, N.E., Washington, D.C. (Little Tavern Shop No. 23)
Torn Down. Now strip mall featuring “Rainbow” and “Downtown Locker Room”. Next door to former Senator Theatre, built 1942.
13. 2537 Pennsylvania Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C. (Little Tavern Shop No. 24)
Converted. Now Continental Construction Next door to the former Highland Theatre.
14. 6th Street and Morse Street, N.E., Washington, D.C. (Little Tavern Shop No. 27)
Converted Now Subway.
15. 504 13th Street N.W., Washington, D.C.
16. 828 North Washington Street, Alexandria, Virginia
Built of brick in 1940 (Building Permit #2542, 5/22/1940)
Resurfaced with porcelain enamel panels 1959 (Building Permit #15009, 5/27/1959).
1993- Friendly Tavern (BAR Case #93-8, 1/6/1993)
1994- Hogs on the Hill (BAR Case #94-104, 10/5/1994).
1995 – Jerry’s Subs (BAR Case #95-189, 12/20/95)
2005- Merry’s Subs Pizza (BAR Case #2005-00226, 10/19/2005)
2008- Asian Wok Cafe
Converted Now Chinese Restaurant. Photo taken during Little Tavern days.
17. Wisconsin Avenue and Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland (Built c.1939)
Converted. Now Golden House Chinese Food.
18. 135 Main Street, Annapolis, Maryland
Closed/Torn Down Nothing left at the site.
19. 11143 Viers Mill Road and Grandview Avenue, Wheaton, Maryland
Torn Down , Though sign-frame is still there, advertising Chuck Levin’s. Site Plan. Painting.
20. 6414 Holabird Ave Baltimore, MD 21224 Opened 1983. Closed 2008.
21. 3515 Eastern Ave Baltimore, MD 21224
22. Greenmount Ave, 32nd St. Baltimore, MD
Converted. As it appeared originally. Now Sea Blue. Formerly Kennedy Fried Chicken.
23. S. Conkling Street, Baltimore, MD – South of Eastern Ave
Torn Down. Picture.
24. 519 East 25th Street Baltimore MD
Converted. Now Pizza Deal.
25. Belvedere Ave. Baltimore, MD- East of Park Heights
26. 10 Park Ave Baltimore, MD
Converted – now Lighthouse Pub
27. 7413 Baltimore Ave College Park, MD 20740
Converted Photo – Until 2009- JD’s Roadhouse. 2010- closed
28. 8230 Georgia Ave Silver Spring, MD
Torn Down Read full story here and here.
29. Corner of Fenton St. and Wayne Ave. Silver Spring, MD
Torn Down Picture as Chinese Restaurant . Pictures as an operating Little Tavern.
30. 3333 M. Street NW Washington DC -
Converted Now Sweetgreen
31. 1303 Wisconsin Ave NW. Washington DC -
Converted Now Paolo’s
32. 655 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E. Washington, DC 20003
Converted Now Little Pub
Built 11/26/193(5 or 6) , architect Frank B. Proctor, Estimated Cost $5000, Permit no. 208645
33. 3125 Wilson Blvd Arlington, VA
Converted Now Goody’s
34. Rt. 1 Laurel, MD -
Converted Now Laurel Tavern Donuts Blog Post.
35. 7801 Coastal Hwy, Ocean City, Maryland
36. 1221 U Street, NW – The Hamburger Grill
Gone. Storefront? Run by Little Tavern Shops. Referenced in 1933 “The Afro American” And here.lt
37.The Shops at National Place (Club LT- opened 1987)
529 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20004
38. Former Little Tavern? Now Tarbouch
3110 Lee Highway